- Small head of cauliflower or 1/2 a big one, cut into large florets
- Splash of groundnut oil
- 1 tbsp Black mustard seeds
- Large pinch asafoetida (or 1 sml onion finely chopped)
- 12 Curry leaves, pulled off the stalk (can use dried)
- Half tsp ground turmeric
- 4 Medium sized potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
- Big handful frozen peas
- 3 Chillies, seeded and chopped
- Small bunch fresh coriander, chopped
- Coconut shavings (optional)
Bring a pot of salted water to the boil and add cauliflower. Bring back to the boil for 1 minute then remove the florets. Keep the cooking water to one side.
Heat a wide pan big enough to hold all the ingredients at once. Add a splash of oil and when it’s hot add the mustard seeds, asafoetida/onions, curry leaves, chillies and turmeric.
Fry for a few seconds then add the potatoes, just enough of the cauliflower water to cover them and some salt. Cover with a lid and simmer gently until the potatoes are just cooked.
Add the peas and cauliflower, stir and replace the lid. Cook over gentle heat until everything is cooked and soft and the liquid is reduced. Sprinkle with coriander and coconut.