- 1 small squash (e.g. butternut), peeled and cut into small chunks
- 3 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- 100g-125g chorizo, sliced or cut into chunks
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 orange or red pepper, chopped
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- Half tsp dried chilli flakes
- Half a tin (200g) chopped tomatoes
- 600ml chicken stock
- 200g paella rice
- Handful of fresh parsley, chopped (optional)
- 2 fresh tomatoes, chopped (optional)
Heat the oven to 200C. Toss the squash with about 2 tbsp of the olive oil and plenty of salt and pepper. Tip out onto a roasting tray and roast for about 20-25 minutes or until tender and slightly charred at the edges.
Meanwhile, heat the remaining oil in a large frying pan and fry the chorizo and peppers over a fairly high heat until crispy then remove with a slotted spoon and set aside.
Add the onions to the pan and saute gently for about 10 minutes until soft and slightly coloured. Add the garlic, smoked paprika and chilli flakes and fry for a few minutes before returning the chorizo and peppers to the pan.
Add the rice and stir well to mix. Add the tinned tomatoes and stock. season and leave to simmer, uncovered, for about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally until the rice is tender and the liquid absorbed. Mix through the roasted squash towards the end of cooking.
Garnish with parsley and tomato if using.