- 1 small red onion, finely sliced
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 6-8 ripe cherry or baby plum tomatoes, halved or quartered
- (1 x 400g) tin cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- Small handful of parsley, chopped
- Juice of half a lemon
- Extra- virgin olive oil
- 150g-200g smoked mackerel, skinned and broken into chunks
- Salt and black pepper
Get a bowl large enough to take all of the ingredients. Put the sliced onion in the bowl and mix well with the vinegar. set aside to ‘macerate for 5 minutes. This will remove some of the harsh onion taste.
Add the tomatoes, beans and parsley. Mix everything well together – tossing with two large spoons is probably the best way to avoid breaking everything up too much.
Squeeze in the lemon juice and add enough oil to bind everything together, probably 3-5 tbsp depending on your taste. Add the mackerel and mix through gently. Add a good grind of black pepper and check to see if salt is needed – remember the mackerel is quite salty.
Divide the salad leaves onto two plates and pile the mackerel salad on top. Serve the toasted bread on the side for added crunch!